Sunday, June 24, 2012

The Bathroom

Wow, I feel so proud of me for all of my work on the bathroom. As mentioned in my last post, my female house mates and I decided that the theme for our main bathroom is to be jungle, to make it more fun and funky and awesome, like the rest of our house. The men have not complained.

Yesterday I took down the crappy old medicine cabinet that was too small and that our shortest house mate can't even see herself in. After taking the old one down, I realized that the new one was designed to be recessed in the wall, which was deceptive because the display model was not recessed and the sides are even finished. I said fuck that and attached two layers of 1/8th inch plywood to the back and screwed it to the plasterboard walls with washers for added stability. The new medicine cabinet is so sleek and sexy, with dark wood and a medium size mirror. I'm very pleased with the way it looks, but unfortunately everything in the bathroom is crooked, so it looks crooked. Oh well, that's what happens when the back portion of the house is sinking.

After the cabinet went up, there was the issue of light. Mainly the issue is that there isn't any in the shower stall so I have to shave my legs in the dark. Though it took a year to finally address the situation, I think that the rope light solution has turned out pretty well. An 18ft white rope light snakes along the overhang to the bathtub and enters the shower stall, going all along the wall where it meets the low ceiling. The challenge came in finding a way to install the illuminary strand within the fully tiled shower stall. The solution: sticky hooks that are semi-permenant yet require no drilling. We'll see how well they do with the moisture.

Next, 4 plants were hung around the small room and now I need to find a solution for watering them, since all of the pots have drainage holes without plates under. Can't have the plants dripping all over the floor every time they are watered. Until a solution is made, they are bring taken down and put into the bathtub to drain when they're watered. I think that I can have a regular pot with drainage holds and place a dish under the pot, then have a cradle, maybe a macramé net of some sort or something, holding the dish and the pot so that the drainage water can be disposed of and everything will be lovely. Also, the current pots are beige, which is super boring and drab.

For a future plan, I have a whole bunch of fake plants that I want to put along the walls, but cleaning seems to be a problem. Is it worth dusting fake plants in the bathroom? My housemates might not agree. Other option for the walls is to cover them in bamboo reeds or to do a mural or a mosaic. I think that we'll have to figure out our storage options before moving on to the next step of wall decorations. We'll see what happens and since this is a communal project it is highly subject to change. Will post photos as soon as I take them.

No comments:

Post a Comment