Saturday, June 23, 2012

Girls day out

Mother Octopus by Erin J. King

Today I went shopping with my two lovely female housemates for supplies. Goodwill is an excellent source of items that are fantastic for deconstructing and altering to make amazing things. Lowe's leaves me feeling like a kid in a candy store because of all the things I want. Went down the aisles pointing at things that I want, but don't really need, and things that I can't really afford, jumping up and down.

*Sigh* Can't I be independently wealthy and just pick out everything I want and take it home? That would be nice. Instead I spent more than I meant to, but have some fun projects that I plan to work on and leaves me feeling motivated and excited, though a bit lighter in the wallet.

Projects:
- a men's striped button down shirt that I'm going to turn into a skirt
- a pillow that I'm going to rework with feathers
- a large number of items to improve the atmosphere of the bathroom to sport a jungle theme
- frames so I can finally mount some artwork I purchased from artist Erin J. King and Matt D.
- a bunch of brass & copper nails due to my inspiration from my favorite book Altered Curiosities to embellish other projects to make them even more awesome
- a wooden candle holder to cut and screw between two plastic plates to create tiered platters for display storage on my vanity

I feel so inspired, yet exhausted and think that I will have to wait until tomorrow to get started on all of my projects.

President Abraham Lincoln Riding A Dinosaur by Matt D.
Ok, so I got a bit more motivated and framed one print (the Mother Octopus one, shown above) and have to make a mat-board for the other print (the Abraham Lincoln Riding A Dinosaur one, shown at right), due to fact that the second frame came with the wrong size mat-board for the piece I have. Guess that Lincoln with have to wait in my closet until I can remember where I put my Exacto knife and right angle ruler. Here is a good video on how to make your own mat-board to frame prints in random frames you find at second hand stores, just like your good pal Jessie Night.

Tomorrow I plan to head over to the fabric store and buy feather tape so I can have a mass of feathers on the pillow I'm reworking. Saw a very pretty pillow at Bed, Bath, & Beyond, that I thought was cool, but far too small and not exactly what I wanted, so now I'm doing it how I want. And isn't doing things your way what Art is all about? Maybe I'll do another post about the difference between Art and art some time, we'll see if I feel like tackling that rant any time soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment