Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Fascination With Feathers

The tale of The Feather Pillow starts with my inspiration. This is the Nicole Miller Feathers pillow that I had been eyeing for a while. My main problems with this pillow are that 1. it is too small (only 14") 2. the background fabric is cheap and an unpleasant color, and 3. the idea of spending $39.99 + tax on a tiny pillow that was made in a factory in China physically hurts me. It seems silly to spend so much on a pillow in the first place, but the idea that the person who physically constructed it would see so little of that irks me when I'm paying for something that I want to be made with love and quality materials. The background fabric is a cotton polyester blend and feels like it is 100% shitty. It seems silly to have these amazing feathers on such a terrible canvas.

Close up of fabric
The finished Feather Pillow
While the idea had been mulling a bit in the back of my mind I saw a great pillow that was covered in silver beads that were scratchy and yarn that was brown and slightly sparkly. Ok, the decorations on the pillow were ridiculous, but the fabric of the pillow was raw silk and in my favorite shade of teal and it was down filled, which I have a total weakness for. It was the perfect starting point for my version of the feather pillow.



The Feather Pillow




Why not make your own pillow base? The cost of the small amount of fabric and a zipper if I made the pillow myself would be more than I paid for the pre-made pillow and I would still have to find something to fill it with and put the time into making it myself. Also, I'm fairly sure that if I made the pillow base that I would have done a much sloppier job of it than the hard working factory technician that constructed the teal pillow for me. Hypocritical much? Not really, there are some things that I recognize are best made in factories, such as plain basics and things that are recognized as "cheap", but this particular pillow had been reduced in price so much that the person who constructed it might have seen a quarter of the price I paid for it, where as for the Nicole Miller pillow, they might have seen 1/32th of the price of the pillow, if that. The percentage of profit on some items just makes me gag, but that's probably why I have a secret love of the dollar store. Shhh, don't tell anyone, this can be just between us.

Close up of pearl bead detail
Close up of Feather Pillow
Anyway, I removed the scratchy beads and the ugly yarn, to reveal a lovely teal pillow, ready for my own embellishments. I went down to the discount fabric store and invested in 1.5 yards of feather trim (green lady amherst pheasant feathers, for those who are curious) as well as a circular pad of the same feathers. I started work on the feathers by doing a running stitch through the ribbon and cinching it so that I could get the ribbon to form a spiral. Next I pinned the curved feather tape down as I sewed it to the pillow by hand along the ribbon edge. Yes, I feel silly for sewing it by hand, especially since it seems that most everything I made I end up sewing by hand because it is easier that way, but this time I had to because of the glue holding the feathers to the ribbon. My pins got all sticky and the needle I had to pull through with a pair of pliers. Chose brown thread to sew the feathers because it disappeared better than green due to blending in with the lower part of the feathers. To top it all off, I attached a large pearl bead in the middle of the feather filled circle. I don't know if I want to keep it for myself or sell it, but I love the way it turned out so much that I might end up making another for sale and keeping this one for me.
Feather and pearl detail

It seems to be a recurring problem for me, the fact that I don't want to let go of the pieces I make that I love. Maybe I just need to find a price that I would be willing to let it go for. Maybe I just need to keep making things that I don't need in the hopes that I will let them find new homes. Maybe. We'll see.

The Feather Pillow
Anyway, this project took two days of distracted construction to complete and cost me $23 in raw materials.

No comments:

Post a Comment